Member Minimum Qualifications
All ICAP members must ...
- be at least 17 years of age or older
- have a High school diploma or equivalent
- be a U.S. Citizen or US national or a lawful permanent resident alienof the US
- pass all background checks
- be a College student at your institution
Tips for Successful Member Recruitment
Show the incentives!
- Use the education award as a catalyst to sign students up, not as the reward. The reward ICAP provides to students is the ability to make meaningful change the community while also building foundational professional skills.
- Provide a service description to students. Explain to them in writing what they will be doing and how they will be doing it.
- If an individual seems on-the-fence about applying have them co-volunteer with an existing member for an hour to experience what participating in ICAP means.
Grow your network!
- Encourage current members to ask friends who may be interested.
- Partner with existing student organizations that have similar interests as ICAP. Such groups can provide opportunities for you to recruit students who are already interested in service.
- Utilize passionate faculty who can recruit students for you.
Develop your talent from the start!
- Use effective tools to ensure that students are there for the right reasons. Consider adding a short formal or informal interview with students to learn a little more about them and what their goals are.
- Do not just look for students to fulfill an immediate need. Try and find individuals that you can groom into being strong service members.
- Use large direct-service activities as an opportunity to meet potential students who may be interested in joining ICAP.
Ask for help!
Contact us at Iowa Campus Compact. We want to see your program succeed and grow. We will help design materials for your program or connect you with other supervisors who have success stories to share.